Grouard is rich in history and its origins date back to the early 1800's with a fur trading post located only a few kilometres from Lesser Slave Lake. The area was originally known as Fort Waterloo and later took on the names Lesser Slave Lake Settlement and also Lesser Slave Lake Post, when the name Fort Waterloo, moved to what is now Slave Lake. The first mission was located by the bay but when Bishop Grouard arrived in the community in the late 1800's, he had the current church, then the cathedral, built. It was completed in 1902 and has been in that location since then. The first post office started in 1903 and was called the Lesser Slave Lake post office. The name of the community was changed to Grouard in 1909 in reference to Emile-Jean-Marie Grouard, and the Grouard Mission.
Predominant Language: English and Cree
Nearest Town/City: High Prairie
Services and Recreation:
Attractions: Native Cultural Arts Museum, St. Bernard’s Church, Grouard Mission, Hillard’s Bay Provincial Park and Shaw’s Point Resort.
Banking: High Prairie: Royal Bank, Alberta Treasury Branch, TD Canada Trust
Media: 93.5 Real Country FM High Prairie, 91.7 FM CFWE Radio, YL Country, KIX FM and South Peace News.